harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][testing]resource files: location and usage
Date Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:30:25 GMT
Anton Luht wrote:
>> Indeed, unless you are extremely paranoid that all the other API
>> implementations wrong, but are conspiring to make your test pass then
>> you should assume that everything else is working ok and you are testing
>> some specific piece of functionality.
>
> Why should we have gold files then? Let's imagine we test
> deserialization. According to your proposal - we suppose that
> serialization works fine then. Let's serialize something in a file or
> an array, deserialize and compare - if non-transient fields are equal,
> it's OK.

Yes, for *compatibility* we need some external data like the
serialization data.

> I suggest to trust only resources created outside Harmony VM - for
> example, created by Java executed in RI, application on any other
> language but Java or taken from SVN.

Hopefully you don't mean that literally.  If you don't trust anything
created by the Harmony VM then you can not implement a meaningful test.

> Only paranoids survive :)

But a little trust will get us further faster ;-)

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)