harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RI's bug of Socket.getOutputStream().write(byte[]) ?
Date Sat, 24 Jun 2006 22:01:49 GMT
Thanks Florian, I need to go back and read Steven's more closely ;-) .
I have no doubt you are correct, but have never seen a close overtake
the data -- we should of course do it right.

In such tests I would usually have a trivial protocol (i.e. sending a
fixed-size length field first) so that the reader knows much to keep
reading.

Regards,
Tim

Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Tim Ellison:
>
>> Maybe I'm misunderstanding the flow of the test here.
>>
>> here's how I read it...
>>
>> Server Side                    Client Side
>> -----------                    -----------
>> 'server' listens on 1234
>>                                'channel' connects
>> 'server' accepts
>> 'out' sends 2xCAPACITY bytes
>> 'out' flushes
>> 'out' closes server end
>>                                'channel' reads in loop until -1
>>                                assert that channel gets 2xCAPACITY bytes
>>

>> Is that right?
>
> In this case, the effects of the close operation can overtake the
> data.  You need the equivalent of shutdown(SHUT_WR) or
> shutdown(SHUT_RDWR), or use some other form of synchronization.

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.