harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r416738 - /incubator/harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/vm/vmcore/src/init/bootclasspath.properties
Date Sat, 24 Jun 2006 21:56:24 GMT
Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> See above. Now what I found out trying to use bootclasspath.properties from
> classlib...
>
> I think that the file from classlib is mostly ok. The DRLVM file parser which
> I thought to blame at first happened to be ok. It does add lots of garbage to
> the bootclasspath addring everything after '=' symbol to the property
> assuming it is a file name, so names like "luni-src.jar" and "/" with full
> path prepended to them appear in the bootclasspath property, but at least it
> is not causing any crashes.

These extra entries are for IDEs to figure out where the source for each
JAR file can be found.  The VM can ignore them.

The bootclasspath.properties file is one mechanism for determining the
BCP.  VMs that can understand the JAR's OSGi manifests can figure things
out from there.

> The problems which I had was that java/lang/VMClassRegistry could not be
> found. The reason was simple, classlib doesn't mention kernel.jar in
> bootclasspath.properties. Addind kernel.jar to the file fixes the problem...
> sometimes.

The bootclasspath.properties file describes JAR files that are
appropriate for every VM, so there is no path to a specific kernel.jar(s).

When drlvm starts to play with the harmony launcher, the VM gets to
'own' a subdirectory under jre/bin/ and then the launcher will help
set-up the kernel classes and any VM-specific options in a VM-specific
.properties file.

Regards,
Tim

--