harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r416738 - /incubator/harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/vm/vmcore/src/init/bootclasspath.properties
Date Sat, 24 Jun 2006 21:38:27 GMT
Mark Hindess wrote:
> On 24 June 2006 at 14:44, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Btw I've figured why kernel.jar has to be added to
>> bootclasspath.properties before luni.jar. They have many classes with
>> the same name but different code (Class, ClassLoader, Thread, System,
>> String to mention a few). So if luni.jar goes first in bootclasspath,
>> then all of those kernel classes implementations are taken from
>> classlib which isn't very good because they should be taken from VM's
>> kernel.jar. So there is no surprise that it doesn't work.
>
> Oops... I can't believe we didn't spot this before! ...

That's a regression :-(  We used to specifically exclude the kernel
patternsets from each JAR packaging step.  I agree that it should be
restored.

> The only place you should find stubs of classes should be in
> luni-kernel-stubs.jar and security-kernel-stubs.jar (they used to be in
> one file but now they are split.)  However, due to an oversight in the
> patternsets, and the fact that the classes build to a common directory,
> they also get included in luni.jar and security.jar.
>
> For the IBM VME, the stubs are replaced by the jars listed
> injre/bin/default/clearvm.properties - i.e. luni-kernel.jar and
> security-kernel.jar.
>
> I should mention that String is intended to be in luni.jar.  It was
> agreed some time back to move String out of the set of kernel classes
> in to luni.  (Although it was always intended that a VM implementation
> could override the String if it wished to do so.)

Yep, indeed any VM can override any class, provided they match the
contract of course (they are /required/ to implement the kernel clsses).
 All the more reason why the VM's kernel.jar(s) should be ahead on the BCP.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)