harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RI's bug of Socket.getOutputStream().write(byte[]) ?
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:03:04 GMT
Andrew Zhang wrote:

>> > Hi Alexander,
>> >
>> > Thanks for your kind reminder.
>> >
>> > Certainly I'll use sth. like Support_PortManager.getNextPort() to avoid
>> > such
>> > port conflict issue.
>>
>> No, please!  Don't perpetuate that abomination<g>!  Alexander is right,
>> you should bind to port 0 and let the OS assign one.
>
> Yes, I agree that getNextPort doesn't really get the next free port, and
> bind to port 0 is the right way.
>
> But if I remembered clearly, in Jetty based tests thread, someone objected
> automatically select port.
> "> What's the problem if the port is selected automatically?
>
> Repeatability.  IMO, there should be no random elements in our testing.
> That leads to frustration, fear, despair, pathos, pain, agony, angst and
> much pulling of limited resources, like hair, in my case."

LOL.  Have you seen Support_PortManager.getNextPort()?, there is nothing
repeatable about that either (unless you always run the test at the same
time of day ;-) ) _and_ it may give you a port that is in use.

> Additionally, getNextPort() is referenced many times in LUNI, NIO modules.
> Most of them are used to avoid port conflict.

How do they do that?  the port manager gives out numbers sequentially
starting at a 'somewhat random' point.

> Shall we fix those codes?

IMHO it should be on the to-do list, yes.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)