harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib]hythreads implementation
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 21:10:41 GMT
Marina Goldburt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed such a strange thing when examined drlvm building process.
> The drlvm replaces hythreads shared library with its own simple
> implementation based on APR. The drlvm hythreads library exports less
> than 1/2 functions comparing with the original hythr.dll.

Yes, that is strange.  Don't know why DRLVM would replace the classlib's
thread library -- seems a bit impolite ;-)

> I thought the rest of functions are used by J9 VM, but
> replacing hythread classlib implementation with the slightly modified
> drlvm one doesn't lead to problems (all tests passed with j9 vm too).

The IBM VME doesn't use Harmony's thread library (there is a remarkably
similar library in the VM subdir called j9thr23).

And,of course, if other VM's want to use their own thread library they
are free to do so.

> So, the question : Why we have so much code in the hythreads module if
> nobody neads it?

The honest answer is, not all the thread library code is needed by
classlib -- but it forms a comprehensive library for any VM / classlib /
tools development.

Regards,
Tim

--