harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] build works on linux
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 20:44:14 GMT

Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
>> I now have drlvm working w/ independent classlib and configure/make
>> building of APR on linux.
>
> This is great, thanks! One more suggestion - what if we try using the
> precompiled binaries for APR, Log4cxx?

What I want to do is remove the dependency builds completely from DRLVM.

We have a way to easily get them (and build where necessary) as a part
of the DRLVM directory tree or a peer (like /deps), but it shouldn't be
a part of the DRLVM build, and we should use properties to point to the
deps wherever the developer chooses to put them.

> Their compilation takes the
> significant time and may be extra cause of various building issues.

Yep

> Does something prevent us from keeping these binaries under SVN
> similarly how the icu libraries are kept? Is there any licensing
> issues given that APR/Log are Apache projects?
> These binaries will have to be prepared & stored for each supported
> platform/config, I guess...

We would be able to do it if really necessary, but I'd rather avoid if
we can.  I do think that the current DRLVM shows that it can be avoided
   (so we have a way for people to get started) as well as the
flexibility for people who want the control.

geir