harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib]native codes layout question(was Re: [classlib][NIO|VMI]JNI 1.4 enhancement on ByteBuffer)
Date Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:41:48 GMT
Tim Ellison wrote:
> Oliver Deakin wrote:
>> Rebuilding a single component can also be done. For example, to rebuild
>> the hyluni.dll you would:
>> 1. cd to native-src/<platform>/luni
>> 2. set the HY_HDK environment variable to point to a directory where
>> you have a complete prebuilt HDK (which could be the deploy dir if you
>> have previously run a global build).
> Can we have it set to the deploy dir by default?

This is only a temporary step while the natives are still in native-src.
Once all the native code is
moved into the modules the default will be the deploy directory. In
fact, if you go to the prefs
module and type in "Ant build.native" it will build the prefs native
code and place the output
libs into the deploy directory. (ok, that's not strictly true - you need
to use
"Ant -Dmake.command=nmake build.native" because the modular scripts dont
pick up this
variable from /make/properties.xml yet, but this will be fixed in the

>> 3. Run make/nmake. The hyluni.dll will be built against the libs already
>> in HY_HDK, and the generated dll will be placed into the
>> native-src/<platform>
>> directory, where you can then copy it wherever you want
>> Once the natives are all modularised (so native-src no longer exists) you
>> will be able to just go to the module you want and run "ant build.native"
>> (or some similarly name target) and the natives will be incrementally
>> rebuilt and automatically placed into your target directory.
> This is the mode of working that people should get used to, so that
> if/when we have ./configure steps too they will still build the natives
> the same way (i.e. rather than just typing (n)make).

> Regards,
> Tim

Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited