harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [apps] azureus (was Re: [testing] AWT, Swing Java2D)
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 17:21:37 GMT
Anton Luht wrote:
> Great progress - it started and looks similar to Azureus launched on RI.
>
> Unfortunately I'm behind a firewall so I can't test it fully (and,
> frankly speaking, I've never used it before I tried to run it on
> Harmony so I don't know for sure how to use it properly :) )

Azureus is probably one of the most stressing software for the JVM,
network-wise and graphically-wise. The graphical part is handled by SWT
so it's not really much for us, but the network part, especially the
multiple UDP/TCP shuffling and tons of established network connections
and files opened is critical.

Also, the fact that you normally let it run for days if not weeks
creates a huge challenge for the JVM for memory leaks, OS resource
cleanups and the like.

I recently tried Azureus on Ubuntu6 with the GCJ that comes with it and
it kept giving me NullPointerExceptions after a day or so of continuous
operation, so I installed sun's java5 and it worked like a charm.

If you guys write a little "how to" on the wiki on how to build the
thing from scratch on linux from sources, I'll be happy to try azureus
on harmony with some 10Gb torrent files and report back on the wiki.

--
Stefano.