harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Paulex Yang <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Merging frameworks for testing serialization - first step
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 09:25:46 GMT
Stepan,

Cool! Basically I'm fine with the merging plan, and I'm very interested
in more details, please see my comments below:

Stepan Mishura wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to start merging existing frameworks for testing serialization.
>
> As first step I've updated 'security' framework. The updated framework
> searches and loads resource files according [1] and eliminates
> requirement
> to extend SerializationTest. Also to provide smooth frameworks merging
> I've
> put stub to let the framework search resources in the 'old' way (i.e. via
> "RESOURCE_DIR" system property). The stub will be removed after
> completing
> the merge.
>
> The updated framework suggests the following way for testing
> serialization:
>
> a) Compatibility – 4 new static methods are introduced.
>    verifyGolden(TestCase, Object)
I suppose the TestCase is used to locate the golden file, i.e.
BlablaTest will load BlablaTest.golden.ser?
>    verifyGolden(TestCase, Object, SerializableAssert)
Is the SerializableAssert a command object? Does it currently exist? if
not, what will it look like?
>    verifyGolden(TestCase, Object[])
>    verifyGolden(TestCase, Object[], SerializableAssert)
What's the meaning of Object[]?  I guess the Object[i] is compared with
XXXXTest.golden.1.ser?

> A test should invoke one of above methods, for example,
> public void testCompatibility() throws Exception {
>    SerializationTest.verifyGolden(this, new SomeSerializableClass ());
> }
>
> b) Self-testing: the same as for compatibility – there are 4 new static
> methods that should be invoked from a test:
>    verifySelf(TestCase, Object)
>    verifySelf(Object, SerializableAssert)
>    verifySelf(TestCase, Object[])
>    verifySelf(Object[], SerializableAssert)
What's the difference between methods with and without TestCase? Does
this imply if it needs to find persistent serialization files? And why
the methods with TestCase parameter don't need customized
SerializationAssert?

> For example,
> public void testSelf() throws Exception {
>    SerializationTest.verifySelf(new SomeSerializableClass(), new
> MyComparator());
> }
>
> To complete frameworks merging I'd like to suggest the next steps:
> 2) Reviewing the update and the suggested way for testing
> serialization by
> the community. Please let me know if it is acceptable and what can be
> improved.
> 3) Replace SerializationTester class with SerializationTest. I'm going to
> add more stubs to let existing tests work in the 'old' way.
> 4) Adjusting existing serialization tests (moving and renaming resource
> files, replacing stubs invocation with new methods)
> 5) Removing stubs.
Thank you, Stepan, it is a really good plan!

> Thanks,
> Stepan Mishura
> Intel Middleware Products Division
>
> [1]