harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib]native codes layout question(was Re: [classlib][NIO|VMI]JNI 1.4 enhancement on ByteBuffer)
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 09:08:29 GMT
Paulex Yang wrote:
> Seems no one objects this proposal:), so I'm going to implement the
> JNI1.4 enhancement in nio module, i.e, provide patch to Harmony-578,
> Because this implementation requires some native codes, so I probably
> need to reintroduce hynio.dll(.so), but I have some questions.(Excuse
> me about my ignorance on the native layout evolution).
>
> At first, seems native codes will be separated into modules(I guess
> Oli is working on?), so should I assume my native codes will be
> directly put into nio modules, or still in native-src/win.IA32/nio
> directory? because I'm used to provide a shell to move/svn add new
> files in the patch, so it will be easier for me to know how others
> think about it.

It depends on whether you want to wait for what I'm doing or not :)
If you want to get the code out now, then you can temporarily put it
under native-src/win.IA32/nio and I will move it later as part of the
natives modularisation.
However, if you don't mind waiting a day or so I should be able to
submit my first patch to move the prefs natives. This ought to be enough
of an example for you to put your native code directly into
modules/nio/src/main/native.

> And second, the native codes probably need portlib, so the portlib's
> header file must be accessible, say, portsock.h, but now it has been
> moved into luni/src/main/native/blabla, should I include one in my
> patch so that nio module can have a copy? or the header file itself
> should be put some other well known directory(deploy/build/include I
> guess)?

At build time, the "copy.native.includes" target in luni/make/build.xml
is called - it copies a selection of the header files in
luni/src/main/native/include that need to be shared between modules into
the deploy/include directory. This is done with an explicit fileset in
luni/make/build.xml - if you need to have portsock.h added to the list
of shared header files, then this is the place to make that change. Just
add its filename to the list, and next time you build it will appear in
the deploy/include directory. Your nio code should include the headers
from the deploy/include dir, and *not* directly from the
luni/src/main/native/include dir.

I hope this makes more sense now - if it doesn't, please let me know. I
am in the process of writing up some documentation for the website on
the natives layout and where headers should go (and also how modules
should build against the HDK) - once that is complete it should all be a
lot clearer.

Regards,
Oliver

--