harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: [jchevm+classlibadapter] Running classlib tests
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:16:42 GMT
Ivan Volosyuk wrote:
> As far as I can see classlib uses port library libprt.so which is
> intended to be used by VM as low level layer above OS threading
> system. Some kind of abstraction of underlying OS primitives. The port
> library is widely used in classlib. The port library data is
> accessible via TLS (it is done imho to support multi VM environments).
> To initialize each thread's TLS pointer to the port library the
> thread_attach() function is needed.

We could handle this in the following manner: let's define two well-known
static native methods (Thread.internaAttach() and Thread.internalDetach()).
Then, if these exist, the VM will invoke them from within each thread at
the beginning and ending of its lifetime.

This would require a simple change to the classlib code and any classlib
VM's. However, it would be a good change, because it would be making
explicit a VM-classlib dependency that is now implicit.

Thoughts on this approach?

-Archie