harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Modularising the native code - it begins!
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 12:42:43 GMT

Mark Hindess wrote:
> On 14 June 2006 at 16:45, Oliver Deakin <oliver.deakin@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Mark Hindess wrote:
>> <snip>

>>> I'd rather not maintain lots of copies.  Could we not keep the shared
>>> parts in the deploy (I was tempted to say hdk) somehow?  It's might
>>> sound a little crazy but actually given that we want modules to be
>>> consistent with other compiled artifacts it's actually quite useful to
>>> have common structure, variable and compile flag settings.
>>>

>> I would also prefer if we could find a good central place to keep these
>> rather than many copies -
>> do you have any suggestions?
>>

> In the support sub-directory?  The support tree is already required
> by most (all?) modules.  I renamed the originally contributed
> 'test_support' tree to support since I figured we might have other
> support files.  For example java code for ant tasks if the build gets to
> hard to manage with basic ant.

This idea seemed quite appealing at first, but having had a look at the
support
directory it still looks very much like a test support bundle, even if
it isn't named as such.
There is a manifest and src directory in there that gives it the
appearance of another module,
so adding in a "build" directory, or something similar, might confuse
things.

Perhaps initially I will put them in a "build" subdir of depends, just
to get these patches
going. Then in the future maybe the support directory will be
reorganised so it isn't
as test oriented, and these can be moved.

Sound fair?

Regards,
Oliver

> -Mark