harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Paulex Yang <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][NIO|VMI]JNI 1.4 enhancement on ByteBuffer
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 05:45:27 GMT
Archie Cobbs wrote:
> Paulex Yang wrote:
>> But after all, the implementation details(class name, fields/methods,
>> etc) are different, so the idea is to provide the three JNI methods'
>> implementation in NIO module, and add them into VMI, so that VM
>> vendor can choose to add them into the JNI function table. I think
>> this will make it easier to integrate Harmony classlib and multi VMs.
>
> This seems like a good approach. The VM can just add the
> classlib-provided
> function pointers to its JNI invoke table and not need to know anything
> else. Of course, the classlib implementations will have to be written
> as JNI functions (they can't use "direct" access to the objects or
> classes) but that's fine.
Agreed, that classlib implementation needs to access objects or classes
by JNI accessor functions. And I think it is fine because we can provide
some static utilities in Java, and the utilitie methods' handle can be
cached, so that not so many reflection/accessor work needed.

> -Archie

Paulex Yang
China Software Development Lab
IBM