harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] [testing] java.beans tests
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:14:29 GMT
Alexei Zakharov wrote:
> Hello to everyone,
>
> I am currently investigating tests for java.beans module.

Great.

> As far as I
> understand there were two separate contributions of java.beans tests
> from two different parties. And these contributions were merged into
> the single combined test suite we have now in svn. As a result
> currently we have about 400 test case failures (excluded) out of
> approximately 1200. After spending some time on this I realize that we
> have two types of issues here:
>
> 1. Test checks the compliance with very deep detail of RI's behavior (that
> is not in spec).
> 2. Test expects the behavior that differs from the RI's behavior as well as
> from our implementation's behavior.
>
> As for point 1, I'm unsure here. Do we really need to be completely
> identical to the RI in terms of public methods behavior? Some RI
> decisions are strange.

We need to work the same (possibly unspecified) way as the reference
implementation to ensure compatibility for Java apps.  An example of
some areas we already thought about are listed here [1].

If the decision is strange so that you think it is bug then we may
choose to depart from the RI's behavior after discussion on this list,
but if it is wrong because you disagree with the approach, then I'm
afraid that compatibility wins <g>.  I suggest that you raise a few
examples here.

> For point 2, I believe we should rewrite or delete such tests.

Agreed -- please indicate with your JIRA patch why you think they are
wrong, and that will help people review you rewrite/deletion request.

> Thoughts, suggestions?

I'm happy that you are looking into this, and look forward to your patches!

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)