harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Modularising the native code - it begins!
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:59:37 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Oliver Deakin wrote:
>
>> I have a couple of questions about location of makefiles and makefile
>> includes
>>
>> 1) Currently the makefiles for the modules are stored underneath the
>> platform
>> and component they relate to. For example, the luni makefiles are situated
>> at native-src/linux.IA32/luni/makefile and
>> native-src/win.IA32/luni/makefile.
>>
>> Once I move the luni native code into the luni module, its code
>> layout will look like:
>>
>> modules/luni/src/main/native/luni/
>>                               |---shared
>>                               |---linux
>>                               \---windows
>>
>> But where should the platform specific makefiles go?
>>
>> I think we have two choices here - put the linux one in the linux dir,
>> and similar for the windows version (as it is now), or put them both
>> under the modules/luni/src/main/native/luni/ directory and rename them
>> something like makefile.linux and makefile.windows.
>>
>> Personally Im happy to go with the first option and keep each makefile
>> under its corresponding platform directory until we have reason
>> to change it. Just thought Id gauge if anyone has any preference.
>>

> I agree.  I'm also wondering how painful it would be to switch to
> something other than NMAKE as it seems pretty braindead.

There was talk some time ago about possibly switching to gmake on all
platforms, and
using some of its capabilities to make picking up platform specific and
shared code a
simpler process. I'm not sure that any conclusion was ever reached in
that thread.
Perhaps its something that needs to be reexamined in the future.

>> 2) The makefiles for each native component include two files
>> (defines.mak and rules.mak on windows and makefile.include
>> and rules.mk on linux) that are generic across all components.
>>
>> The question is: where should these common files be located once
>> the natives are moved into the modules?
>>
>> At the moment, I can't really see an obvious location where all modules
>> could access them.
>> The only option I've thought of so far is to have one copy of the files in
>> each module that contains native code (so that would be one copy in
>> each of archive, auth, luni, prefs and text). The files would be located
>> under
>> /modules/<modulename>/src/main/native, and shared by all the
>> native components under that module.
>> Any preferences/ideas about this?
>>

> I think that works.  I've been having similar thoughts about this re
> drlvm, and have been using the classlib make config as a reference.  I'm
> trying to limit the amount of duplicated things because I'm slothful and
> lazy and don't want to maintain them.

In general with these things I'm also all in favour of sharing as much
as possible to keep
maintenance down.
I think that in this case, however, the duplication shouldn't have too
much impact. The two
makefile includes largely define directory locations, compiler flags and
generic compile lines
for each platform, and these shouldn't change very regularly.

Regards,
Oliver

> geir
>

>> Regards,
>> Oliver
>>

>> Oliver Deakin wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> As you have probably noticed, I recently raised HARMONY-596
>>> (which Mark has already kindly applied) to make .lib and .a files
>>> generate
>>> straight into the deploy/lib directory.
>>>
>>> I think that now we are in a position to finally modularise the
>>> classlib native
>>> code. I've volunteered to do this, and plan to move the code down into
>>> the
>>> modules in the layout described in [1], since I believe there were no
>>> objections.
>>>
>>> I will probably warm up with some of the "easier" modules -
>>> prefs/text/auth
>>> - before moving onto archive and luni. Ill raise a separate JIRA for each
>>> set of moves, and let you all know how I progress and if there are any
>>> problems/questions I have.
>>>
>>> I also plan to create a doc for the website describing the location of
>>> the native
>>> code, and summarising how platform specific and shared code is laid out
>>> within each native component.
>>>
>>> Please let me know if there are any issues with this - otherwise I will
>>> continue to work on it and submit patches.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Oliver
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200605.mbox/%3c4463654A.3080105@googlemail.com%3e