harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Modularising the native code - it begins!
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:59:48 GMT
I have a couple of questions about location of makefiles and makefile
includes

1) Currently the makefiles for the modules are stored underneath the
platform
and component they relate to. For example, the luni makefiles are situated
at native-src/linux.IA32/luni/makefile and
native-src/win.IA32/luni/makefile.

Once I move the luni native code into the luni module, its code
layout will look like:

modules/luni/src/main/native/luni/
                               |---shared
                               |---linux
                               \---windows

But where should the platform specific makefiles go?

I think we have two choices here - put the linux one in the linux dir,
and similar for the windows version (as it is now), or put them both
under the modules/luni/src/main/native/luni/ directory and rename them
something like makefile.linux and makefile.windows.

Personally Im happy to go with the first option and keep each makefile
under its corresponding platform directory until we have reason
to change it. Just thought Id gauge if anyone has any preference.

2) The makefiles for each native component include two files
(defines.mak and rules.mak on windows and makefile.include
and rules.mk on linux) that are generic across all components.

The question is: where should these common files be located once
the natives are moved into the modules?

At the moment, I can't really see an obvious location where all modules
could access them.
The only option I've thought of so far is to have one copy of the files in
each module that contains native code (so that would be one copy in
each of archive, auth, luni, prefs and text). The files would be located
under
/modules/<modulename>/src/main/native, and shared by all the
native components under that module.
Any preferences/ideas about this?

Regards,
Oliver