harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Modularising the native code - it begins!
Date Wed, 14 Jun 2006 07:59:12 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Oliver Deakin wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As you have probably noticed, I recently raised HARMONY-596
>> (which Mark has already kindly applied) to make .lib and .a files generate
>> straight into the deploy/lib directory.
>>
>> I think that now we are in a position to finally modularise the classlib
>> native
>> code. I've volunteered to do this, and plan to move the code down into the
>> modules in the layout described in [1], since I believe there were no
>> objections.
>>

> Other than my outstanding objections to how HDK is being conflated with
> the deploy directory, none :)

Notice I didn't mention the hdk at all in my previous mail ;)

> I know I owe you some responses from last week, and that stuff shouldn't
> stand in the way of what you want to do here.

Yes, our plans for the HDK are separate to what I'm doing here - this is
purely about
putting the native code under the modules directory.

>> I will probably warm up with some of the "easier" modules - prefs/text/auth
>> - before moving onto archive and luni. Ill raise a separate JIRA for each
>> set of moves, and let you all know how I progress and if there are any
>> problems/questions I have.
>>

> I assume this is gradual - that you can do one module first, it can go
> into SVN, and all still is fine?

That's exactly what I plan to do - small chunks that can be applied to SVN
individually rather than one world changing event.
I will take one module at a time (probably starting with prefs) and
prepare a
patch to move the native code that should be under that module into the
right
place, and alter all the necessary build scripts. Once that's ready, Ill
raise a
JIRA and attach the patch in the usual way, and then move onto the next
module with a new patch and JIRA.

Regards,
Oliver

>> I also plan to create a doc for the website describing the location of
>> the native
>> code, and summarising how platform specific and shared code is laid out
>> within each native component.
>>

> Ooh!  Ah!  THanks!
>
> geir

Oliver Deakin