harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][vm] Prerequisites for java.util.concurrent
Date Sun, 11 Jun 2006 22:23:52 GMT
Nathan Beyer wrote:
> I've been working with the java.util.concurrent code to see what we'd need
> to have in place to get this code to be a part of Harmony.
>

> System.nanoTime() - A number of the classes rely on the new nanoTime method.
> I'm assuming this would just be marked as a native method like
> currentTimeMillis in luni-kernel, which would leave it up to the VMs
> implement. I can easily stub out the Java code. Anyone interested in getting
> our VMs to implement this method? I'm guessing that if IBM donates an
> updated VME for 1.5 usage, this would also be provided.maybe?

It's in the Harmony port library as:
  U_64 VMCALL hytime_hires_clock (struct HyPortLibrary *portLibrary)

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/doc/vm_doc/html/hytime_8c.html?view=co

> Annotations - There are a few places where the @SuppressWarnings annotation
> is used. Building the annotations themselves is trivial, but we'll actually
> need to be using Java 5 class files to properly compile annotation class
> files. These can be commented out until the 5 class file support is enabled.

Sounds like all Harmony-oriented VMs are happy for us to move to the 1.5
compiler, even if getting the runtime annotation info may not be there yet.

> PriorityQueue - There's at least one dependency on this class. I think
> someone is already working on this one though.
>

> VMI Atomicity/Lock API - All of the AtomicXXX classes are delegated to a
> VM-specific API for atomic gets and sets. This API will need to be defined
> and then implemented by the various VMs. Many of the lock APIs also make use
> of this API.

Do these have to be VM-specific?

> Arrays.copyOf() - Several classes utilize a set of Arrays.copyOf() methods,
> which are new in Java SE 6 [1]. We'd either have to rework these
> implementations to use System.arraycopy or just implement the new methods.
>

> AbstractMap.SimpleEntry<K,V> - The ConcurrentHashMap uses this class as a
> base class for Map.Entry objects. This is a new public class, which is also
> part of Java SE 6 [2]. Either this code can be reworked to just implement
> the Map.Entry interface, or the SimpleEntry class can be built out, which
> should be trivial.

Strange that there are 6.0 dependencies.  Is there a j.u.concurrent
maintenance stream we can track rather than the dev stream?

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)