harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Archie Cobbs <arc...@dellroad.org>
Subject Re: [jchevm+classlibadapter] Running classlib tests
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 14:01:05 GMT
Ivan Volosyuk wrote:
> Yes, I have done this in VMThread.run() method for newly created
> threads. But I have seen no way to do this in JNI's ThreadAttach().
> Looks like gnu classpath doesn't require any callbacks (like
> thread_attach()) to be called on the attached thread, so the jchevm
> doesn't do this. That is why in order to use classlib, this place
> needs changes in jchevm and it looks like the same applies to all
> other VMs which use gnu classpath interfaces. That is the problem I am
> talking about.

I haven't looked at the code so these may be questions arising from
ignorance..

What native code in classlib requires special thread support and why?

Could we simply override those classes and eliminate this need, and
just remove (or ignore) the classlib thread stuff?

Why can't whatever code uses thread_attach() use the normal JNI methods
for thread management instead?

JCHEVM should be compatible with any native library that adheres to
the JNI spec.. but if it requires other "backdoor" functions to be
supplied by the JVM, then in theory we can eliminate that requirement,
because after all normal Classpath doesn't require it and it works
just fine.

Thanks,
-Archie