harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] build -unhook the classlib build and point to the existing in-tree one
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 13:08:31 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Denis Sharypov wrote:
>
>> I would like to give the background on how the build system is designed and
>> then
>> give answers for the specific questions.
>>
>> The build system provided with the VM is designed to be able to build the
>> whole harmony codebase
>> no matter how many modules it contains. The intent was to propose it later
>> as a unified build system
>> for the Harmony project after receiving the community feedback.
>>

> Speaking for myself, I'd personally prefer a much more loosely coupled
> build framework, to allow the individual parts of Harmony (drlvm,
> jchevm, classlib, tools, etc) the freedom to build in the way best
> suited for that part, as determined by the people working on that part.
>
> There has to be some overall federation, such as where generated
> artifacts are to be placed when generating a JDK, but I'm hoping that
> coupling doesn't have to be tight.
>
> Others agree, disagree?

Agreed - IMHO using a build system for each VM or classlib that most
suits that
particular component makes sense.
Classlib currently has a fairly straightforward build system (which
could probably be
simplified further with some work), and this is good enough for it - it
suits all the
requirements of that component and is easy to use.
DRLVM has a more complex build system, but probably with some
justification due
to the complexity of the project it is compiling.

As long as they produce binaries that can be combined (adhere to the VMI,
produced JDK 'shape' is standard etc.) then I dont think it matters if the
underlying build systems are the same.

Regards,
Oliver

--