harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] building...
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2006 00:51:46 GMT

Garrett Rooney wrote:

>> It's been so long since I did C in anger, I don't grok what the best
>> pattern is.  I think the latter, as it *seems* easier to contruct
>> makefiles, but it could be my rustiness w/ make at this point.

[SNIP]

> What we ended up with in APR is something like this:
>
> There's a base implementation of each file that is designed to work on
> any unix system.  These go in unix/ subdirectories.  If it's feasable
> to make that file work elsewhere (Netware, Windows, OS/2, BeOS,
> whatever) then it's done via ifdefs.  If the ifdefs get out of
> control, or the platform is really that different then you start
> splitting off into platform specific implementations, but that's a
> last resort.

I'd vote to call it "common" but yes, I agree and was thinking about
this approach earlier today, but my goal is to get us minimally
integrated and working as fast as possible to let people get going w/ it
in an easy manner.

So I would think this kind of refactoring is a second step after
whatever minimal shuffling we should do to get an easy-to-grok build
systme...

> So in the end, the main things to keep in mind are to make your unix
> implemenation try to work across as many systems as possible, ifdefing
> based on availability of features as much as you can, not based on
> specific platforms, and only as a last resort split out into totally
> different platform specific implementations.

Thanks

geir