harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject [drlvm] building...
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 23:27:41 GMT
So I spent a bit of time playing with a basic ant/make build system like
we have in classlib.

1) I think the way the code deals w/ the APR includes is broken, because
they are of the form <apr-1/filename.h>.  This requires special handling
of the APR disto which puts the headers in an /include directory after
it's built on your platfom.

I've started removing the 'apr-1' so that we have #include <filename.h>
 Please bellow if there's some really good reason to do it as it is now
in SVN.

This change should be independent of the build approach we take.

2) Is there any benefit to mixing platform code like

  vm/port/src/atomic/linux
              /atomic/win
              /disasm/linux
              /disasm/win

rather than

  vm/port/src/linux/atomic
                   /disasm/
             win/atomic
                /disasm

It's been so long since I did C in anger, I don't grok what the best
pattern is.  I think the latter, as it *seems* easier to contruct
makefiles, but it could be my rustiness w/ make at this point.

3) It could be because I don't know the existing build system, but I
found it pretty hard to figure out all the  compiler flags that were
used per 'module'.  Is there an easy way?  Is there a log in the current
build?

geir