harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [general] More SVN restructuring thoughts... (was Re: Ant build | IOException)
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 13:58:49 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> This brings up a good point. (I'm so used to CVS, I keep forgetting that
> branches and tags really don't exist in SVN...)
>
> We have been talking a little about how to 'federate' things so that we
> have a harmony project, rather than separate islands of activity, so
> that a user can type 'build' somewhere, and get a full working system w/
> tools, vm and classlib.
>
> The problem that we'll face is that we have
>
> harmony/classlib/trunk
>         classlib/branches
>         classlib/tags
>         classlib/archive
> harmony/drlvm/trunk
>         drlvm/branches
>
> So you get a big pile of stuff whenever you do a svn co on root, as
> Garrett points out.
>
> I was chatting about this w/ Garrett, who is a real SVN guru, and he
> suggested we do the following -
>
> * setup harmony/trunk as the federation point w/ empty directories for
> /tools, /vm, /classlib, whatever
>
> * setup a fetch script so that it does an svn switch for each of them
> into the right part of the svn tree (letting people choose among VM

Sounds like a pretty flexible way to go grab whichever bits you want to
build.

> choices, versions of classlib, etc).  You could also just use a symlink
> to point up and over to /harmony/classlib/trunk
>
> * build from that set
>
> So we'd end up with
>
> /harmony
>         /classlib
>                  /trunk
>                  /...
>         /drlvm
>               /trunk
>               /...
>         /trunk
>               /build
>                     build.xml
>               /target
>                     < where the build goes >
>               /classlib
>                     <empty>
>               /vm
>                     <empty>
>               /tools
>                     <empty>

Would /classlib and /drlvm be checked out in your local workspace as peers
to /trunk or would they be checked out under /trunk/classlib etc. and
linked to
the right bit of SVN from there? i.e. if you wanted to make local
changes to classlib,
say, and be able to incorporate them into your global build under /trunk,
but also generate patches against the code in svn under /classlib/trunk
for submission,
where would the code you are making changes to be checked out to in the
above
diagram? (my knowledge of svn switch is somewhat slim...)

> This seems like it gives us incredible freedom, ease for someone that
> wants to just do a top-level build (svn co harmony/trunk; setup vm=drlvm
> classlib=head; build) and see what they get, and doesn't hammer SVN so
> hard...

I like the idea of being able to just kick off a script specifying which
components you want,
and it takes care of putting them in the right place and setting them up
for the build. Keeping
it simple to use and catering for all VMs definitely makes it attractive :)

> If no one thinks of a problem, I'll try this.  I doesn't change the fact
> that projects should be able to push generated artifacts into a common
> directory, but does make things easy to setup and work with efficiently.

Cool - sounds like a good idea.

Regards,
Oliver

> Thanks Garrett!
>
> geir
>

> Garrett Rooney wrote:
>
>> On 6/7/06, Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <thunderaxiom@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> svn checkout https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/harmony
>>>
>>> ant -f harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/make/depends.xml download
>>>
>> Please don't check out the root of the harmony tree.  It's incredibly
>> wasteful, that's far more content than you need, and it'll only get
>> worse as more tags and branches are created.
>>
>> If you want to check out the trunk of the classlib, check out the
>> trunk of the classlib:
>>
>> svn checkout
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk
>> classlib