harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] moving to 1.5 for real - discuss
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 09:10:53 GMT
Tim Ellison wrote:
> Thanks to many stellar contributions all round we are pretty much
> exhausting the work we can do with the temporary solution we adopted of
> source=1.5 target=jsr14|1.4 compiler flags.
>
> How do you feel about moving to 1.5 for real?  It would be simple to
> change the Java compiler build options to generate 1.5 class files.

Good idea! We've been edging around what we can do with jsr14 for a
while now. That
solution was only ever intended to be temporary, maybe now is the time
to fully step
up to 5.0.
Altering the build system to create 5.0 level classes is a one liner
AFAICS, and will allow
us to enable some of the code we have that currently is lying dormant
(such as the 5.0
version of itc's rmi, and we can remove rmi2.1.4).

> AIUI there is at least some 1.5 awareness in DRLVM and JCHEVM (and
> SableVM?) which would allow the current functionality to work, and IBM
> can provide a 1.5 version of the IBM VME to run on.
>
> Thoughts?

I think this move is probably overdue - it'd be great to step the
classlib and our VMs up
to 5.0, feels like we're moving closer to our target!

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Deakin