harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [general] revisiting structure of SVN
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2006 12:19:54 GMT
Ivan Volosyuk wrote:
> 2006/6/6, Oliver Deakin <oliver.deakin@googlemail.com>:
>> <SNIP>
>> I can see how confusion could be caused by their location, however
>> IMHO it would cause more confusion to have the kernel stubs
>> located separate to the rest of the Java code.
>> Perhaps it would be clearer if the directories were renamed
>> luni-kernel-stubs and security-kernel-stubs (which would also match
>> the jar names they generate)?
>>

> A small note.
> As a writter of classlib adapter for jchevm I can say that the stubs
> was quite useful for writting kernel classes specific for jchevm.
> There are also some troubles with them: number of functions fallbacks
> to null value, while it can be something like RuntimeException("not
> implemented"). Some of the classes has better implementation in drlvm,
> which can also be used as default implementation.

Yes, you're right - not all of the classes in luni-kernel and
security-kernel
contain implementation code. Some literally are stub classes that just
return
null, or throw an exception from every method. From a quick look, the
implemented classes are:

luni-kernel:
   java.lang.StackTraceElement
   java.lang.System
   java.lang.ThreadGroup
   java.lang.Throwable
   java.lang.ref.SoftReference
   java.lang.ref.WeakReference

security-kernel:
   java.security.AccessControlContext
   java.security.AccessController

Ivan, are you proposing that we "fill in the gaps" with some of the kernel
classes from drlvm so that we have a complete set of reference kernel
classes to help future VM writers?

Regards,
Oliver

--