harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [testing] Re: AWT, Java2D and SWING contribution
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2006 18:06:07 GMT
Erik Axel Nielsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> Very hard part. Colors used in Harmony are not equivalent to RI.
>>> Therefore I expect that "as is" comparison will show that everything
>>> is different :-). The entire component Look is not 100% copied, i.e.
>>> position of the focus frame, look of the borders, etc. differ.
>>> Besides, colors are theme-dependent and may differ for MetalTheme and
>>> OceanTheme, for instance.
>
> I think a possible way to partly test the wanted behaviour of our
> Swing/AWT component will be to do a pixel compare using a third party
> Look and Feel. A good one for this purpose could be jgoodies [1]. It has
> several different L&Fs and they are all pretty complete.
> I know this wouldn't test the L&Fs that Harmony are supposed to ship
> (like Metal and Ocean?) but at least its a way to test the underlying
> engine. All third party L&Fs should be identical on both Harmony and RI,
> shouldn't they?

if no anti-aliasing is performed, though. If not, only god knows what
kind of filter has been applied (hardware or software) and the
individual pixel colors would look totally different.

It's also true that we could post-process it, apply some sort of filter
and compare the result of that instead.

Good direction to experiment with, though.

--
Stefano.