harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject [general] revisiting structure of SVN
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2006 17:00:20 GMT
I'd like to discuss how we start to bring together the pieces of Harmony
given our goal is Java SE with all the fixin's.

We now have

  /classlib
  /jchevm
  /drlvm

DRLVM and classlib work together (as I think we all like to see jchevm
do too...)

But given that we are a Java SE project (and not a VM project or a
classlibrary project) I think it behooves us to start thinking how to
organize at a higher level.  We've been very focused on the classlib
area, but that's only one part.

So, I'd like to propose something like

1) a /deploy directory in root, as a peer to /classlib and /drlvm

  /classlib
  /deploy
  /drlvm

2) Maybe move the launcher out from classlib to

  /launcher

3) Maybe create

  /tools

  where the tool work can happen?

4) Have /drlvm and /classlib build-deploy into /deploy, rather than the
local one

3) create a top level script such that

     build drlvm-jdk
 or
     build jchevm-jdk

does what you expect, namely build the classlib artifacts and put in
/deploy, build the VM of choice and drop in /deploy, builds the
toolset,etc and go from there.  We can create our HDK snapshots from it,
and drop HDKs into it for use :

  /deploy
     /hdk/
        /hdk1/