harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [classlib] logging from within our implementation
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 14:58:15 GMT
Vladimir Gorr wrote:
> We need to remember the class file transformation via BCEL implies the
> performance degradation at load-time.
> IMO using the source code like this
>
> *static final boolean DEBUG = false;
> if (DEBUG) {
>   // wiped away by java compiler
>   log("my useful log message");
> }
> *
> will give better performance but demands the additional efforts for the
> re-factoring the source code.

People,

in case you have forgotten, we are writing a virtual machine, which
means we can practically do anything, including externally triggered
runtime bytecode modification. Aspect injection, whatever.

I've seen a presentation of JRockit's management console and they seem
to be able to do stuff like that (I need to play more)

As much as I'm a proud printf kind of guy, I never had the luxury of
owning the keys to the internals of the machine that ran my code.

Maybe we should start thinking more with that in mind and think about
scratching our own itches in terms of development... we might find some
serious innovation on the way to there.

--
Stefano.