harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: "Sun Says GPL Is a Possibility for OSS Java"
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 12:56:15 GMT

theUser BL wrote:
> JavaONE 2006 is over. Sun have not opend Java, as many people have hoped.

No one really expected it.

The thing that JS did was formally commit his company to doing so in
public.  It's a step forward.

> But Sun hold on the speculations, if Suns Java will be OpenSource or not.
>
> At OSNews.com at
> http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=14770
> stand, that a GPL Java could be possible.

yes, because of a statement in JS's blog, as you note below.

> The links ends up at Jonathan Schwatzs blog at
> http://blogs.sun.com/jonathan
> where he writes
> "But all in all, a really great week - we're now making serious progress
> on open sourcing Java (and despite the cynics, using a GPL license is
> very much *on* the table), [...]"

I found his phrasing "despite the cynics" ironic, because we cynics
expect that it would be GPL  or something equally as restrictive in
order to preserve as much control as possible.

geir