harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [testing] Re: AWT, Java2D and SWING contribution
Date Thu, 01 Jun 2006 12:52:23 GMT

Anton Luht wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Some time ago I've read in Danese Cooper's blog that Sun doesn't have
> compatibility tests for Swing/AWT. I think it means that there are no
> such tests in other companies or projects as well. We can see if our
> implementation is compatible with Sun's only by launching some
> application on both and comparing.

Two things :

1) I'm not convinced that Danese is right here - if someone wants to
look at the JCK from Sun (it's available somewhere under a read-only, no
compiling, no running, no nothing license) we can verify, but I actually
am not too concerned. We'll pass the JCK (TCK) no matter what tests are
or are not in there.

2) Compatibility is determined formally by the JCK.  Running
applications an comparing is a help for us, but doesn't allow us to make
any claims regarding compatibility.

> Of course it's difficult to test view automatically - that button with
> some text really shows the text and looks nice or that green is green
> or that grid table is a grid table. What can be automatically tested
> is model:
>
> - if one of button's properties changed, others are changed accordingly
> - if a component changes state, listeners are notified properly
> - repaint() and revalidate() called where needed, etc.
>
> Maybe some of these scenarios can be tested even in headless mode -
> without displaying anything.
>
> What do you think - does this testing approach make sense? Is there a
> need in such tests to ensure confidence that our libraries are
> compatible? Or we'll just try different applications and solve
> problems as they arise?

I certainly think that tests are good here, of any sort.  Better some
than nothing.

geir