harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexei Zakharov" <alexei.zakha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] logging from within our implementation
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 16:03:00 GMT
Once again. DNS provider does not look like another math lib. Yes, it
is a part of JVM. But it is a network application nevetheless like ftp
client, icq or whatever. It needs to warn people about some network
conditions and events without self-termination. It has maximum one
user-level log message (nano- or microseconds) per several network
transactions (can last many seconds). I don't see any reasonable
motivation to remove such messages. We won't get any performance
impact. Only reduce the usability of the system by doing this.

2006/6/8, Geir Magnusson Jr <geir@pobox.com>:
> I can't recall my jvms ever logging that way for critical stuff - they
> usually just throw errors, right?
>
> Alexei Zakharov wrote:
> > People, have compassion on critical error/info messages at least (>=
> > Level.WARNING) . This is not a DEBUG logging, this is useful stuff for
> > end user!

> >> Sadly, no, it doesn't seem so.
> >>
> >> I was hoping that Aspect-Master-George might give us some hints...

> >> Is there something driving that other than the desire to "put it to
> >> bed"?  (Just curious)
> >>
> >> Can you just comment the stuff out?  (or I can - I'll be happy to)
> >>
> >> geir

> >> using

Alexei Zakharov,
Intel Middleware Product Division