harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Vladimir Gorr" <vvg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r416738 - /incubator/harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/vm/vmcore/src/init/bootclasspath.properties
Date Sat, 24 Jun 2006 14:10:43 GMT

> On Saturday 24 June 2006 09:19 Mark Hindess wrote:
> classlib
> > >
> > > I am probably missing something, what is the reason not to include
> > > serializer.jar to the classlib bootclasspath by default?
> >
> > Sorry, what I am trying to understand is...
> >
> > Classlib doesn't include it because it doesn't appear to require it
> > (specifically all tests pass without it).  (Perhaps this is a limitation
> > of the classlib tests - there aren't really any tests for the xml APIs.)
> > Why does drlvm require it?
> >
> > If drlvm requires it then there is a good chance that classlib also
> > requires it and it should be added to classlib, but I want to understand
> > why it is necessary.  Perhaps I'll have a closer look at drlvm and see
> > how it is using it, but I figured that someone on the list would already
> > know.
> >
> > Basically I'm trying to figure out if classlib has a problem we are not
> > seeing (yet) because serializer.jar is missing.
>
> Sorry if it wasn't clear, I never meant that serializer.jar is actually
> needed
> to run classlib + drlvm. Yesterday when I tried bootclasspath.propertiesfrom
> classlib I didn't have to add serializer.jar to it to make run simple
> programs. I don't know why drlvm has it in its bootclasspath.properties,
> probably just because it exists. It doesn't seem to be needed yet.

It's not clear why this file has been added to the bootclasspath.

Btw I've figured why kernel.jar has to be added to bootclasspath.properties
> before luni.jar. They have many classes with the same name but different
> code
> (Class, ClassLoader, Thread, System, String to mention a few). So if
> luni.jar
> goes first in bootclasspath, then all of those kernel classes
> implementations
> are taken from classlib which isn't very good because they should be taken
> from VM's kernel.jar. So there is no surprise that it doesn't work.

 Indeed, the classlib sources contain the stabs for the kernel classes.
They can be used by VM developers as start point. These classes are
VM-specific
and have to be a part of the VM implementation (kernel.jar file). Perhaps it
makes sense
to exclude these classes from the luni.jar to avoid similar surprises.

What does the Harmony community think about this?

Thanks,
Vladimir.