harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Gregory Shimansky" <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Can't build native on winXP
Date Thu, 29 Jun 2006 11:59:33 GMT
2006/6/29, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com>:

> --- Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@gmail.com> wrote:
> [SNIP]
> > You can also take a look at this [1] discussion, a
> > very similar question was
> > asked just recently.
> >

> Gregory:
>
> Thanks for all the pointers.  I have not touched C
> since (2 year!) college other than to run make on
> stuff here and there and it took me awhile to wade
> through all this stuff.  Plus I didn't read your links
> well enough and ended up figuring out e.g. the secure
> getenv etc. calls on my own before rereading and
> realizing I'd duplicated work!  :)  Currently I am
> using nasmw in place of ml, and I simply changed the
> definition in depends/build/rules.mak .

Good to know it has worked for you!

Is there a
> better place to put this change so I'm not altering
> versioned files?

I am afraid no, at the moment classlib build does not support different
assembly compilers out of the box, so the NASM port really requires changing
makefiles directly. The sources have to be replaced as well for the same
reason, there are no places for different assembly sources in the current
classlib layout.

I think it will be improved when someone seriously tries to port classlib to
Cygwin on MinGW toolchain which will probably happen after native code is
restructured to modules. Then it will be possibly to improve every module
separately as Mark wrote recently.