harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Gregory Shimansky" <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using Visual Studio C++ Express to compile classlib - fails.
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:23:40 GMT
2006/6/27, Rana Dasgupta <rdasgupt@gmail.com>:

> On 6/26/06, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > >I used to build classlib successfully on WinXP with completely free
> > >environment, that is MS VS.NET <http://vs.net/> 2005 Express, MS
> Platform
> > SDK Server 2003 R2
> > >and NASM from Cygwin (there is no free MASM with license which allows
> OSS
> > >development, it can be found for local experiments on quite many
> sites).
>

> Gregory,
>     Not sure what you mean by "no free masm with license which allows OSS
> development"...Version 8.0, compatible with VC++ 2005 Express is
> downloadable for free from the Microsoft Download site...
>

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=7A1C9DA0-0510-44A2-B042-7EF370530C64&displaylang=en
>
>    The clck-thru license does say something about not using it for
> developing software to be commercially distributed, does that violate ?

Cool! Thanks for the pointer. This is something new. The date published is
June 7 2006 which is pretty recent. It happened after I've written my email
about MASM not available.

Anyway, I hope my NASM port will not be discarded because it may be used to
compile Harmony with free as in speech Cygwin or MinGW toolchains.

    I also read your interesting experiments on the other linked
> thread. Microsoft appears to have a new tool mt.exe to embed these
> manifests:
>     mt.exe -manifest someapp.exe.manifest -outputresource:someapp.exe;1
>     ( 1 for .exe and 2 for .dll )
>
>     Could be added as a post-build step.
>
> Rana

Sure. I thought I'd have to  experiment with rc or windres utilities so I
gave up at that stage. I didn't know they've invented a special utility
right for the purpose of embedding manifests into executables and dlls.