harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Can't build native on winXP
Date Thu, 29 Jun 2006 20:10:55 GMT
On Thursday 29 June 2006 16:57 Matt Benson wrote:
> Right... I was going to ask, are(n't) the modified
> sources still compatible with ml.exe?  If so, there
> shouldn't be much reason -not- to adopt a
> least-common-denominator approach (applying your
> changes), should there?  I'm not much on makefiles,
> but it might be nice to be able to parameterize the
> assembler in some way.

The reason I used NASM was that it uses Intel's instruction notations
(compared to gas which uses AT&T) so port was easier. But no, the syntax of
instructions is not the only difference. The main difference is compiler
directives which every assermbler invents on its own. Also NASM has different
syntax for memory operations. So if there is a common denominator I don't
know about it.

> I will have to go back and try to reassemble those
> conversations; I intend to have a look at making all
> the Ant build stuff as performant as possible, but I
> suppose I will need to know what's on the horizon wrt
> the structure of the native stuff.  In any event, I
> hope cygwin is supported soon (I doubt I personally
> could get it working in anything like a reasonable
> amount of time)... currently I open a VC window, run
> the MS SDK SetEnv /XP32 /DEBUG, run another batch file
> to make all the other env. changes I need, and use
> that CMD prompt to run Ant.  Then I do everything else
> in a cygwin window.  Annoying.  :)

I've written already how to change cygwin.bat to set up VS.NET environment for
cygwin window. The cmd shell is so less usable than bash. You just have to
remember to use windows paths when dealing with windows native progs and
java.