harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [classlib] Can't build native on winXP
Date Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:57:41 GMT
--- Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2006/6/29, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com>:
[SNIP]
> > using nasmw in place of ml, and I simply changed
> the
> > definition in depends/build/rules.mak .
>

> Good to know it has worked for you!
>
> Is there a
> > better place to put this change so I'm not
> altering
> > versioned files?
> >

> I am afraid no, at the moment classlib build does
> not support different
> assembly compilers out of the box, so the NASM port
> really requires changing
> makefiles directly. The sources have to be replaced
> as well for the same
> reason, there are no places for different assembly
> sources in the current
> classlib layout.

Right... I was going to ask, are(n't) the modified
sources still compatible with ml.exe?  If so, there
shouldn't be much reason -not- to adopt a
least-common-denominator approach (applying your
changes), should there?  I'm not much on makefiles,
but it might be nice to be able to parameterize the
assembler in some way.

> I think it will be improved when someone seriously
> tries to port classlib to
> Cygwin on MinGW toolchain which will probably happen
> after native code is
> restructured to modules. Then it will be possibly to
> improve every module
> separately as Mark wrote recently.

I will have to go back and try to reassemble those
conversations; I intend to have a look at making all
the Ant build stuff as performant as possible, but I
suppose I will need to know what's on the horizon wrt
the structure of the native stuff.  In any event, I
hope cygwin is supported soon (I doubt I personally
could get it working in anything like a reasonable
amount of time)... currently I open a VC window, run
the MS SDK SetEnv /XP32 /DEBUG, run another batch file
to make all the other env. changes I need, and use
that CMD prompt to run Ant.  Then I do everything else
in a cygwin window.  Annoying.  :)

Thanks again,
Matt