harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: awt and swing integration issues
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:49:16 GMT

On 27 June 2006 at 7:00, "bootjvm" <bootjvm@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Concerning Mark's observation lsat week on AWT/Swing
> where only a, "couple of files" were C++ instead of C
> source code:
>
> I thing it would make library maintenance easier when everything is
> done in one single, regular manner.  If everything is C but a short
> segment, it would make the world run better to not have exceptions to
> the rule if they could be converted into C.  Mixed language projects
> in a mode like this _often_ have maintenance issues in this arena.
> Therefore, I would suggest this conversion be done.

I'm looking at the integration of the native code from the awt/swing
'misc' dependency right now.

I think these natives will quite likely get merged in to luni at some
point.  At that point, it would definitely make sense to convert them
to C to avoid adding unnecessary requirements to a core element of the
Harmony classlib.

On the other hand I'm not quite so concerned about the use of C++ for
awt - since the requirement there (for ease of use with GDI) is justified.

Regards,
 Mark.