harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r416738 - /incubator/harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/vm/vmcore/src/init/bootclasspath.properties
Date Sun, 25 Jun 2006 13:26:38 GMT

On 24 June 2006 at 22:38, Tim Ellison <t.p.ellison@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Hindess wrote:
> > On 24 June 2006 at 14:44, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Btw I've figured why kernel.jar has to be added to
> >> bootclasspath.properties before luni.jar. They have many classes with
> >> the same name but different code (Class, ClassLoader, Thread, System,
> >> String to mention a few). So if luni.jar goes first in bootclasspath,
> >> then all of those kernel classes implementations are taken from
> >> classlib which isn't very good because they should be taken from VM's
> >> kernel.jar. So there is no surprise that it doesn't work.
> >
> > Oops... I can't believe we didn't spot this before! ...
>
> That's a regression :-(  We used to specifically exclude the kernel
> patternsets from each JAR packaging step.  I agree that it should be
> restored.

Yes, it's definitely a regression.  Probably at least partly my fault,
so I've fixed it in r417017.

Gregory, this should almost fix the ordering issue except for String
which has moved out of the kernel classes in to luni.  But as Tim says
the real solution is to load the VM's versions of kernel classes first
the same way the IBM VME does it.

Regards,
 Mark.