harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r416738 - /incubator/harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/vm/vmcore/src/init/bootclasspath.properties
Date Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:44:01 GMT
On Saturday 24 June 2006 09:19 Mark Hindess wrote:
> On 24 June 2006 at 1:43, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday 24 June 2006 00:04 Mark Hindess wrote:
> > > Indeed.  See my comment in the JIRA HARMONY-651.  I would have used
> > > the version from classlib, but there is an outstanding issue with
> > > serializer.jar - which drlvm current adds to jre/lib/boot but classlib
> > > does not.
> >
> > I am probably missing something, what is the reason not to include
> > serializer.jar to the classlib bootclasspath by default?
> Sorry, what I am trying to understand is...
> Classlib doesn't include it because it doesn't appear to require it
> (specifically all tests pass without it).  (Perhaps this is a limitation
> of the classlib tests - there aren't really any tests for the xml APIs.)
> Why does drlvm require it?
> If drlvm requires it then there is a good chance that classlib also
> requires it and it should be added to classlib, but I want to understand
> why it is necessary.  Perhaps I'll have a closer look at drlvm and see
> how it is using it, but I figured that someone on the list would already
> know.
> Basically I'm trying to figure out if classlib has a problem we are not
> seeing (yet) because serializer.jar is missing.

Sorry if it wasn't clear, I never meant that serializer.jar is actually needed
to run classlib + drlvm. Yesterday when I tried bootclasspath.properties from
classlib I didn't have to add serializer.jar to it to make run simple
programs. I don't know why drlvm has it in its bootclasspath.properties,
probably just because it exists. It doesn't seem to be needed yet.

Btw I've figured why kernel.jar has to be added to bootclasspath.properties
before luni.jar. They have many classes with the same name but different code
(Class, ClassLoader, Thread, System, String to mention a few). So if luni.jar
goes first in bootclasspath, then all of those kernel classes implementations
are taken from classlib which isn't very good because they should be taken
from VM's kernel.jar. So there is no surprise that it doesn't work.