harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r416738 - /incubator/harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/vm/vmcore/src/init/bootclasspath.properties
Date Sat, 24 Jun 2006 05:19:59 GMT

On 24 June 2006 at 1:43, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 24 June 2006 00:04 Mark Hindess wrote:
> > Indeed.  See my comment in the JIRA HARMONY-651.  I would have used
> > the version from classlib, but there is an outstanding issue with
> > serializer.jar - which drlvm current adds to jre/lib/boot but classlib
> > does not.
>
> I am probably missing something, what is the reason not to include
> serializer.jar to the classlib bootclasspath by default?

Sorry, what I am trying to understand is...

Classlib doesn't include it because it doesn't appear to require it
(specifically all tests pass without it).  (Perhaps this is a limitation
of the classlib tests - there aren't really any tests for the xml APIs.)
Why does drlvm require it?

If drlvm requires it then there is a good chance that classlib also
requires it and it should be added to classlib, but I want to understand
why it is necessary.  Perhaps I'll have a closer look at drlvm and see
how it is using it, but I figured that someone on the list would already
know.

Basically I'm trying to figure out if classlib has a problem we are not
seeing (yet) because serializer.jar is missing.

> > As I suggested in an earlier message (subject Re: [drlvm] Doing the
> > minimum to support Java 5 classfiles) I think drlvm's deploy tree
> > shouldn't contain any classlib files but should produce a deploy tree
> > that a top-level build can combine with a classlib tree to produce a
> > fully working deploy tree.  Much like we do manually when we combine the
> > IBM VME and classlib.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > That is, we should do more to reduce the coupling between drlvm and
> > classlib.  At the moment, drlvm is trying to understand classlib - i.e.
> > knowing what to copy across but it is not going to be maintainable.
> > (And arguably it is already failing because it is not copying the jre/
> > lib/ext/bcprov.jar that classlib uses - instead drlvm puts an older
> > version in jre/lib/boot.  This is just confusing we should stop trying
> > to do it in drlvm and delegate this task to the top-level build.)
>
> Yes, as I wrote in another mail in this thread, I think classlib should
> contain all of the information about itself in its files. VM should just
> follow the agreement, be it bootclasspath.properties or some other file which
> describes classlib contents to figure out which files classlib has and what
> they are meant to be in classlib.

Agreed.

-Mark.