harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r416738 - /incubator/harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/vm/vmcore/src/init/bootclasspath.properties
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 21:43:55 GMT
On Saturday 24 June 2006 00:04 Mark Hindess wrote:
> Indeed.  See my comment in the JIRA HARMONY-651.  I would have used
> the version from classlib, but there is an outstanding issue with
> serializer.jar - which drlvm current adds to jre/lib/boot but classlib
> does not.

I am probably missing something, what is the reason not to include
serializer.jar to the classlib bootclasspath by default?

> As I suggested in an earlier message (subject Re: [drlvm] Doing the
> minimum to support Java 5 classfiles) I think drlvm's deploy tree
> shouldn't contain any classlib files but should produce a deploy tree
> that a top-level build can combine with a classlib tree to produce a
> fully working deploy tree.  Much like we do manually when we combine the
> IBM VME and classlib.

Agreed.

> That is, we should do more to reduce the coupling between drlvm and
> classlib.  At the moment, drlvm is trying to understand classlib - i.e.
> knowing what to copy across but it is not going to be maintainable.
> (And arguably it is already failing because it is not copying the jre/
> lib/ext/bcprov.jar that classlib uses - instead drlvm puts an older
> version in jre/lib/boot.  This is just confusing we should stop trying
> to do it in drlvm and delegate this task to the top-level build.)

Yes, as I wrote in another mail in this thread, I think classlib should
contain all of the information about itself in its files. VM should just
follow the agreement, be it bootclasspath.properties or some other file which
describes classlib contents to figure out which files classlib has and what
they are meant to be in classlib.

> > Gregory?
>
> I'd like to know what Gregory thinks about this too.

See above. Now what I found out trying to use bootclasspath.properties from
classlib...

I think that the file from classlib is mostly ok. The DRLVM file parser which
I thought to blame at first happened to be ok. It does add lots of garbage to
the bootclasspath addring everything after '=' symbol to the property
assuming it is a file name, so names like "luni-src.jar" and "/" with full
path prepended to them appear in the bootclasspath property, but at least it
is not causing any crashes.

The problems which I had was that java/lang/VMClassRegistry could not be
found. The reason was simple, classlib doesn't mention kernel.jar in
bootclasspath.properties. Addind kernel.jar to the file fixes the problem...
sometimes.

There is a weird fact that if kernel.jar is added before luni.jar everything
just works. If its bootclasspath index is after luni.jar, VM goes into some
infinite recursion in java code which in JIT mode causes just infinite
execution, in interpreter it crashes on some synchronization locks limit.

I didn't really analyze the cause for this strange behavior yet, maybe my
finding is not really correct. I'll try to investigate this strange situation
tomorrow.