harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r416738 - /incubator/harmony/enhanced/drlvm/trunk/vm/vmcore/src/init/bootclasspath.properties
Date Fri, 23 Jun 2006 20:44:32 GMT
On Saturday 24 June 2006 00:13 Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
> How about the idea of independence between VM and classlib, isn't this
> VM who decides where and how it loads the boot classes?

I think not. If we want VM to work with classlib that is changing, it is only
classlib which can make VM know which files in it should be included to
bootclasspath, which places are to be searched for extensions, providers and
stuff like that.

IMHO it is only classlib which can make this information available to VM in
convenient way.

> Given the comment in the head of the bootclasspath.properties file:
> # The bootclasspath properties define elements of the virtual machine's
> # boot class path.
> I would decide that this file is rather a property of the specific VM
> than the classlib.
>
> Is there any reason why the class libraries would use it except
> setting the property com.ibm.oti.system.class.path?
> Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

Class library's properties are not existant at bootstrap when VM has to know
its bootclasspath already at least to execute System.<clinit> which usually
pulls out several hundreds of classes which may be loaded from many jar
files.