harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] build works on linux
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2006 21:41:40 GMT
On Friday 23 June 2006 00:44 Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> > Does something prevent us from keeping these binaries under SVN
> > similarly how the icu libraries are kept? Is there any licensing
> > issues given that APR/Log are Apache projects?
> > These binaries will have to be prepared & stored for each supported
> > platform/config, I guess...
>
> We would be able to do it if really necessary, but I'd rather avoid if
> we can.  I do think that the current DRLVM shows that it can be avoided
>    (so we have a way for people to get started) as well as the
> flexibility for people who want the control.

From the Gentoo user standpoint who can just type

emerge ant cpptasks eclipse log4cxx apr icu icu4j

and get all the dependencies installed in the system I wholeheartedly support
the way for build just to point to locations of already installed binaries.
After all it is the way all other software actually installs on Linux. Yes
for windows maybe we'll need binaries kept somewhere in a shed.