harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib]native codes layout question(was Re: [classlib][NIO|VMI]JNI 1.4 enhancement on ByteBuffer)
Date Tue, 20 Jun 2006 06:44:35 GMT

On 20 June 2006 at 14:18, Paulex Yang <paulex.yang@gmail.com> wrote:
> Seems no one objects this proposal:), so I'm going to implement the
> JNI1.4 enhancement in nio module, i.e, provide patch to Harmony-578,
> Because this implementation requires some native codes, so I probably
> need to reintroduce hynio.dll(.so), but I have some questions.(Excuse
> me about my ignorance on the native layout evolution).
>
> At first, seems native codes will be separated into modules(I guess
> Oli is working on?), so should I assume my native codes will be
> directly put into nio modules, or still in native-src/win.IA32/nio
> directory? because I'm used to provide a shell to move/svn add new
> files in the patch, so it will be easier for me to know how others
> think about it.

If you aren't planning on waiting until Oliver has done at least some of
the moves, then assume the old/current locations of native-src/*/nio.
(I assume this will mostly be shared?)

If you are planning on waiting, then use Oliver's work as a template for
how the native build should proceed.

(Personally, I'm waiting before doing the awt/swing native source
integration.)

> And second, the native codes probably need portlib, so the portlib's
> header file must be accessible, say, portsock.h, but now it has been
> moved into luni/src/main/native/blabla, should I include one in my
> patch so that nio module can have a copy? or the header file itself
> should be put some other well known directory(deploy/build/include I
> guess)?

Yes.  Since this header forms part of the API it probably should be
moved to deploy/include at build time - like the other headers for the
classlib natives API.

No code should reference the native source of another module directly
only via the deploy tree.

Regards,
 Mark.