harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] build - first round done
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 19:20:18 GMT
On Friday 16 June 2006 22:31 Rana Dasgupta wrote:
>    I am also trying to understand the flow here. But since this is a dummy
> bootstrap case, would it make sense to just disable this assert instead of
> instantiating all the new interfaces and resolving everything, or is this
> instantiation necessary for the bootstrap in which case the assert of
> course makes sense?

This won't make anything good. The class_handle which is a pointer to java
heap object of type java.lang.Class is used very often, I am even surprised
that hello world even worked without java.lang.Class superinterfaces
instances, but perhaps they aren't used much yet. If class_handle for Class
struct is not initialized with an object instance pointer it will be null and
who knows when the object is needed. Reflection may surely trigger request
for it.

>  Also, are we incrementally fixing all the 1.5 related issues as we find
> them?

This is not exactly 1.5 issue yet. It is 1.5 classlib compiled as 1.4 issue :)

Actually there is a question of whether we want the VM to still work with 1.4
*only* classlib. Adding hardcoded loads for 1.5 only interfaces to the code
will make it unable to work with classlib which doesn't have these classes. I
am not sure if it is bad or not.