harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] build - first round done
Date Fri, 16 Jun 2006 16:57:34 GMT
On Friday 16 June 2006 16:29 Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> 2006/6/16, Geir Magnusson Jr <geir@pobox.com>:
> > Gregory Shimansky wrote:
> > > Sorry for delay, JIRA is painfully slow for me today. I submitted
> > > HARMONY-612.
> > >
> > > The reason I didn't do it immidiatelly is that I thought I am missing
> > > something and you have the fix already somewhere as you wrote that VM
> > > worked
> > > on WinXP for you.
> >
> > 'worked' is an overstatement.  It survived the smoke test.
>
> This is strange because for it it failed on hello world application and in
> the very beginning of it. Could it be that some jar file with old API
> version was floating around, maybe from CLASSLIB build (which checked out
> some old revision of classlib) which was done by VM itself?

Answering to myself. I've guessed the difference why you didn't have assertion
fails. I've enabled debug build mode when all assertions are enabled. You
built release with assertions disabled so everything worked for you.

Talking of this maybe enable debug by default for DRL VM? It is used by
developers for development for the most part at the moment so assertions and
symbol info may be quite useful. Also debug is built faster because it is not
optimized.