harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Supporting working on a single module?
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2006 14:32:56 GMT

On 7 June 2006 at 9:42, Geir Magnusson Jr <geir@pobox.com> wrote:

> Oliver Deakin wrote:
> > Just thought Id give a bit of a heads up on HARMONY-561.
> > The patch attached to that JIRA moves the header files under the
> > native-src/<platform>/include directories into
> > /modules/<luni|archive>/src/main/native. It also updates the build
> > scripts and
> > makefiles to move the headers into a shared location (<hdk>/include, as
> > described at [1])  and compile against their new location.
>
> Right, and I really don't like it, have been saying I don't like
> overwriting the HDK, gave a reason for why I don't like it, and never
> heard a reason why it must be this way.

It's no different to how we've been deploying java code for the last
several months.  That is, if you build at the top level, you are
effectively creating the java parts of the jre (which is part of the
large hdk).  If you then go and build in say modules/luni, you are
building against the jars in the "hdk/jdk/jre/lib/boot" directory and
the new luni.jar will be overwrite the existing one.

So if Oliver is breaking anything by these changes, then it is nothing
that wasn't broken before for the java code building process.  So I
don't see the harm in proceeding because without this or something like
it, it is impossible to move forward with (long overdue) the native-src
restructuring.

No one has felt a pressing need to solve the problem with respect to the
java code parts of the hdk (jre) being overwritten so I don't see why we
now need to solve that problem first.

> If you want me to put my money where my mouth is and just patch it,
> I'm more than able to do that, but I'd rather reach consensus together
> on how to go forward.

I'd prefer the consensus approach too.

Having said that I am interested in how you would patch it.  I've not
clearly understood how it should be solved/patched.  Ignoring the native
code for a moment, how do you propose to solve the problem with respect
to the hdk/jdk/jre/lib/boot jars?  Where should the jars go when we
build at the top level?  Currently they go in the hdk - just as they
always have - except we didn't call it that.  Where do you think we
should put the jars created when we build in a module?  Should the
launcher be modified to support looking for the jars in all locations
(with the hdk/jdk/jre/lib/boot location as last resort)?

Regards,

 Mark.