harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hindess <mark.hind...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [testing] AWT, Swing Java2D
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2006 12:25:52 GMT

On 6 June 2006 at 6:27, Geir Magnusson Jr <geir@pobox.com> wrote:

> zoe slattery wrote:
> > Hi Geir
>
> Hi Zoe!
>
> Long time no hear, here!
>

> > Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> >> Mark Hindess wrote:
>
> [SNIP]

> >> Can you share this script somewhere?
> >>
> > See HARMONY-165 </jira/browse/HARMONY-165> for a script which does the
> > same thing. It's not exactly the same script - but does give the same
> > results (I hope)
>
> What's the difference?

I split the process into four steps:

1) Obtain reference lists of classes defined by the 1.4, 5.0, 6.0 APIs.
   You only need to do this once.

2) Create a class load list for an application - w/"java -verbose:class"

3) Create a list of classes provide by a Harmony jre - I did this by
   scanning the jars in the jre.  You only need to do this when the JRE
   changes.

4) List all the classes in the result of 2) that are also in 1) but not
   in 3).  That is, API classes used by not in Harmony.

IIRC, Zoe's script combined steps 1), 3), and 4) so steps 1) and 3)
were repeated for each application.  This was fine for "casual" use but
didn't really scale for our build process.

One thing that might be interesting would be to configure a CGI/servlet
to accept output from 2) via a HTTP file upload and compare it to a
current version of 3) and produce the brief report of missing classes.
So people could create a log with their favourite app on a RI and see if
there is any chance it will work on Harmony.

Regards,
 Mark.