harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Axel Nielsen <erika...@stud.ntnu.no>
Subject Re: [testing] Re: AWT, Java2D and SWING contribution
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2006 10:44:39 GMT

> Actually my English is not good :-). Will work on improvement.
>
> What I tried to say is that we really don't need to use third-party
> L&Fs for visual testing. It doesn't mean we should not try them. We
> should! Just because L&F implementation is one of the most significant
> customization in Swing and may be based on the very internal things
> (like the order of components in some specific container, etc). So,
> running third-party applications which provide their own L&Fs will
> allow to determine many inconsistencies. Obviously, the more
> applications we  probe during testing the better fucntional coverage
> we achieve (and the more problems get identified).
>
> Talking about scenario automation: if I got your idea right, you
> proposed to use some third-party L&F. Just because this approach would
> allow unified look for both RI and Harmony.
> This is excellent idea, but third-party L&F could also provide not
> just own colors, but customized behavior as well, replacing our
> classes. That's why I think we should not used them.
> Your idea can be easily implemented by overriding color-related
> constants in L&F.
> What we need is just call:
> UIManager.put("someColorConstant", new ColorUIResource
> (PREDEFINED_COLOR))
> for all the color-related constants.
> This allows to test the standard set of L&F classes.

Thanks a lot clearing this up for me Anton. I agree with most of your
views. However I think that using third party L&F in our testing
could help us isolate problems that are not in our own L&Fs but
rather in our implementation of the other parts of Swing/Awt/Java2D.
But as you say, we will have to find a L&F that overrides most if not
all of BasicLF and that could be a bigger problem than I though
originally.

-- Erik Axel